Fresh salmon fillet with pesto vegetables
Preparation time 15 min — Total cooking time 60 min
A firm favourite on the menu
- 300 g new potatoes
- 100 g fine green beans
- 100 g tenderstem broccoli
- 2 x 150 g salmon fillets, scaled and pin-boned
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon
- 75 g whole peeled almonds
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 50 g fresh basil (large handful)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 g pecorino cheese, grated
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
We’re grateful to ‘Knobbiea’, a visitor from Haarle in the Netherlands for his review and the photograph he took when visiting the restaurant back in July 2019. Many others have commented on this dish and it remains a regular feature on the Peet’s menu. Amanda’s kind words below, are echoed in several reviews about this meal.
“This perfect restaurant is located on the edge of Lochinver. Make reservations to avoid disappointment. Friendly staff, delicious dishes.”
(‘Knobbiea’ — Haarle)
“Lovely restaurant… very relaxed atmosphere and the waiting staff were very pleasant and professional… the salmon on a bed of pesto vegetables was a taste sensation.” (‘Amanda U’ — Aberdeen)
- For the pesto – Bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the almonds for a few minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan over a medium–high heat. Keep them moving to prevent burning; they should be a light golden colour.
- In a food processor, blitz the almonds until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add the basil and garlic and blitz a couple more times. Tip it all into a bowl.
- Mix in the pecorino and oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, scrub the potatoes, then trim the beans and broccoli. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 15 minutes, or until tender, adding the beans and the broccoli for the final 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Rub the salmon fillets all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the hot pan, skin-side down, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 4 minutes, or until the skin is golden and crisp.
- Turn the fillets over, then cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat, rest for 30 seconds, then add a good squeeze of lemon juice and give the pan a shake.
- Drain the vegetables well, then tip into a large bowl. Add the pesto and toss to coat.
- Divide the salmon and vegetables between plates, drizzle over the pan juices, then cut the remaining lemon into wedges to finish off the presentation.