Preparation time 20 min — Total time 40 min
So many of our Tripadvisor testimonials mention the Seafood Chowder; it deserves to be included.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion
- 100 g chopped streaky bacon (optional)
- 600 ml fish stock, use from fish stock recipe or made from 1 fish stock cube (optional)
- 225 g new potato, quartered
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 300 ml cream
- 320 g salmon, mackerel, haddock and smoked haddock
- 250 g fresh langoustine & mussels (you can use cooked)
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- crusty bread, to serve
The seafood chowder is something of a signature dish at Peet’s and has attracted good reviews from guests ever since it first appeared on the menu. Here are just a few of the overwhelmingly positive reviews.
“We treated ourselves to a meal here on the last night of our holiday and wished we’d done it sooner! The seafood chowder was quite possibly the most delicious food I have ever eaten! ”
(‘Sarah G’ from Worksop on Tripadvisor)
“Wow what a find. Try the chowder if it’s on, it’s quite a delight. Fantastic cheery service and fresh well cooked produce. We will certainly come back.” (‘Gillsta67’ on Tripadvisor)
“A gem in Lochinver… Very fresh seafood is the highlight but meat is also great. Their chowder is one of the best I’ve ever had (and though it is listed as an entree don’t expect to eat a main dish afterward. It’s very filling!)” (‘Unswissmiss’, Ulm, Germany)
“…the Seafood Chowder was the best I’ve ever had, it beat chowders that I’ve had in Nova Scotia and New England and they pride themselves on their chowder in that part of the world.” (‘Canada B’ on Tripadvisor)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and bacon(optional). Cook for 8-10 mins until the onion is soft.
- Pour in the fish stock and bring it up to a gentle simmer.
- Add the potatoes and chilli flakes. Cover, then simmer for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Tip the Fish into the pan and gently simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shellfish, then simmer for 2 minutes more. (If using fresh mussels, make sure they all open, discard any unopened.)
- Add the cream and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste then season accordingly. Simmer for a few more minutes if it needs to reduce further.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with some crusty bread.