Peet’s Apple Crumble
Preparation time 15 min — Total time 50 min
Not actually made for sharing, but that doesn’t seem to stop anyone.
- 220 g golden caster sugar
- 350 g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 220 g unsalted butter
- 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 6 medium apples
- 60 g brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 60 g raisins or sultanas (optional)
Everyone mentions our fish and seafood. The puddings, although invariably well received, rarely get mentioned individually in reviews. So, we’re particularly grateful to Veronique and PriusExplorer for calling out the crumble.
“The best restaurant from our stay in Scotland. Best value as well. Fresh fish, excellent homemade crumble. Everything was perfect!”
(‘Veronique D’ on Tripadvisor)
“…last but not least do not leave here without trying their home made fruit crumble desert. It is the ultimate comfort food and when it’s cold and wet outside (as it often is up here at 58 degs N) this really is the manna of the gods.” (‘PriusExplorer’ on Tripadvisor)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Peel, core and slice your apples carefully.
- Toss the apples with the60g sugar, cinnamon, raisins/sultanas(optional) and place in a suitable oven dish.
- Put the 220g sugar, 350g flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl, slice the butter into the bowl then rub the mixture with your hands until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Spread this crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
- Sprinkle some extra brown sugar over the top — 1 or 2 tbsp. (Optional)
- Bake on the middle shelf for around 35 to 40 minutes — until the crumble is golden brown and the apples are soft.