Fresh berry meringue
Preparation time 15 min — Total time 2 hr - 8hr (depending on how long you leave the meringues to cool)
A seductively simple dessert that benefits from a little advance planning.
- 4 egg whites, (at room temperature)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (220 g) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- I like to use fresh raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or blackberries
- 1 cup Whipping or Double cream
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- Small splash of vanilla essence
- Set your oven to 120°C
- While the oven’s heating up, line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Then, using a mixer, whip up the egg whites and salt until they forms soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar and whisk, then add vanilla essence and whisk. Continue whisking until the meringue has peaked.
- Spoon the meringue mix onto the lined tray and bake for an hour and a half. I spoon it into individual portions, but you can just make it as one large meringue if you’d prefer.
- Either way, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to cool down completely — ideally overnight!
- When you’re ready to serve, top with freshly whipped cream and fresh berries.
You can make the meringues ahead of time. They’ll keep well in an airtight container for a couple of days and be ready to assemble at a moment’s notice.